Friday, May 7, 2010

Flood update


Just wanted to give a quick update to my blogger friends... I got into grad school! I will be working on my nurse practitioner degree starting in August! Yay!

I haven't visited blogs like I normally do because my new template won't allow me to post my favorite blogs on my page; either that, or I just haven't figured out how to do it yet. This has been a big hindrance for me because it was once so easy for me to see the new posts. I will get back to reading my favorite blogs, slowly but surely!


The Tennessee flood has kept me emotionally and mentally occupied, and soon physically occupied as well. I will be going out Saturday morning, and hopefully again next week if my schedule allows, to do some volunteer work in the community.


I'll admit, I was initially a little ambivalent about volunteering. I really didn't want to leave my kids behind to do it considering that I already work full-time. But I am inspired by the enormous response to this natural disaster and really want to take a role in helping! Churches have organized multitudes of food, clothing, and cleaning supply drives. Kids are getting involved by bringing food to school to donate to Second Harvest Food Bank. Businesses are donating lunches for the volunteer workers. Nashville had one water treatment plant that had not been damaged, so jail inmates and private citizens sandbagged it to within a foot of being engulfed by the Cumberland River, and the treatment plant was saved! Strangers are helping strangers, asking for nothing in return.


We were so fortunate not to have any sort-of damage to our house. Some of the neighbors down the street were hit hard, however. I feel like it is my responsibility to do something, if for no other reason, because we were spared the pain of losing everything we own. So many others around here have suffered. I can't just sit on my behind and go about life as if nothing has happened.
I promise to post pictures soon, hopefully sometime this month. In the meantime, stay safe, and be thankful for all your blessings :-)

6 comments:

walk2write said...

I'm so glad you were spared! Congratulations on the grad school acceptance. I wish you all the best in your new endeavor. Good for you that you are going to volunteer. Your kids will be impressed and never forget.

Clementine Moonflower said...

Thank you thank you! Yes, I am very excited that I got into school. It was hard work. I think I am over the major hurdle and school will be the easy part.

The next blog will be on volunteering. The last attempt was a bust! But there are many more opportunities. I really want my kids to know how fulfilling and important it is to volunteer. I regret that I didn't impress that upon my oldest child, but it's not too late for them.

troutbirder said...

Glad to read you escaped the disaster... and congrats on your acceptance. Way to go!

Clementine Moonflower said...

Thank you very much, troutbirder! :)

betsy said...

Congratulations! Gla the water did not get to you also. on't you live in Franklin?

Clementine Moonflower said...

Yes, I'm in Franklin, but certain areas got hit worse than others, even within neighborhoods. Our large park and the downtown was flooded, and several subdivisions off the Harpeth river.

Sorry it took me long to reply to your comment! I have been totally slacking on blogging and reading blogs lately. I've been dealing with some other issues besides the floods too, but I will get back in the swing eventually :)

Post a Comment